ARTICLE I – NAME
The name of this organization shall be: “Conference of Southern Baptist Evangelists.” (COSBE)
ARTICLE II – PURPOSE
The purpose of the “Conference” shall be to share the Gospel with as many persons as possible. In order to accomplish this, it shall:
1. Promote fellowship among its members.
2. Provide inspiration and information to assist its members to more effectively fulfill the ministry to which they are called.
3. Provide a means of expressing its convictions and positions to the Southern Baptist Convention, and to the world.
4. Provide opportunities for the evangelists to be a source of inspiration to the pastors, ministers, and laymen of the Southern Baptist Convention.
5. Act as a teaching instrument to share with, and to encourage the convention and pastors to recognize the scriptural gift and ministry of the evangelist, according to Eph. 4:11-12, as a partner in fulfilling the Great Commission.
ARTICLE III – MEMBERSHIP
Membership shall be available to all Southern Baptist Evangelists who:
1. Notify, in writing, the Secretary-Treasurer or designated officer of their desire to join this organization.
2. Complete the Membership Application form, designating their category of membership from the following:
3. Pay the membership dues and maintain future annual dues. Members elected to the Hall of Faith are not required to pay dues and still retain full membership.
4. Are approved by membership at the annual business meeting or by the Executive Committee.
ARTICLE IV – OFFICERS
1. Officers shall be nominated from the floor, and elected by a simple majority of those voting.
2. In the event that no nominee receives a majority, a run-off will be held between those who receive the largest number of votes of those whose total votes are 50% or more.
3. This procedure will be repeated until one of the nominees receives a majority.
4. The officers shall consist of: President, Vice-President, Secretary-Treasurer, Recording Secretary, Music Director, Assistant Music Director, Pastor Advisor, and Parliamentarian.
5. The officers shall serve as the Executive Committee between sessions.
6. As far as is practicable, the nominee for President should have served as Vice-President at some time in the past. If there is more than one Vice-President who has not served as President, then the current President or someone appointed will devise a way to get each person on the path to serve as President at some point in the near future. If there are none or if no one wishes to serve as President, then a candidate may be nominated for President who has not yet served as a Vice-President in the past.
ARTICLE V – ANNUAL MEETINGS
The annual meeting of the Conference of Southern Baptist Evangelists shall be held in the city of and during the week of the Southern Baptist Convention annual meeting.
ARTICLE VI - EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
1. The Executive Committee shall conduct any necessary business which may arise between annual meetings, as well as that assigned to it by the Conference. It shall give a report of all its activities at the annual business meeting.
2. The Executive Committee shall be comprised of all elected officers.
3. The President of COSBE shall be the Chairman of the Committee.
ARTICLE VII – PARLIAMENTARY AUTHORITY
1. Robert’s Rules of Order (latest revised edition) shall be recognized as the standard authority to guide the “Conference” on questions of parliamentary law and custom.
2. Those members in attendance and voting shall constitute a Quorum for the transaction of business at the annual meeting.
3. The minutes of the meeting shall indicate a Quorum was present.
ARTICLE VIII – AMENDMENTS
These By-Laws may be amended by a two-thirds vote at the annual meeting provided:
1. Committee-sponsored amendments are announced at the preceding meeting of the Conference, or submitted in writing to all members with voting privileges at least two months in advance of the annual meeting in which they are to be considered.
2. Amendments from the floor are announced at annual meetings and acted upon at the next.
1. All monies will be received by the Secretary-Treasurer and deposited in an account styled "Conference of Southern Baptist Evangelists."
2. Funds shall be disbursed on the single signature of either the Secretary-Treasurer or the President only for the following expenditures listed in order of priority.
1. The President and Music Director shall choose all program personalities from individuals who are dues-paying members of the COSBE family.
2. No expenses or honorariums shall be paid to any program personalities, unless necessary.
COUNCIL OF ACCOUNTABILITY
1. The purpose of the Council of Accountability is for the restoration, not destruction of, one’s ministry. It is the intent of the Council of Accountability to serve as an official voice for COSBE by expecting all members of COSBE to maintain the standards set forth in the Statement of Affirmations. This holds us accountable to Christ, ourselves, and our peers.
2. This council will be put into place to serve as a voice for all members of COSBE. It has been designed to serve as a platform for any Southern Baptist Evangelist who has a legitimate grievance against any person, church, or secular organization which seeks to bring harm, dishonor, or injury to his ministry; to address any issues which bring into question the integrity of any Southern Baptist evangelist and/or his ministry due to unethical conduct or moral impropriety, and, if necessary, take appropriate measures to resolve such issues. Appropriate measures may take the form of:
3. The officers of the Council of Accountability shall consist of three elected officials who are members of COSBE. At least one-third shall be elected by popular vote of the members of COSBE at its annual business session to serve a three-year term. One new member is to be elected every year to stay on for three years. Every year one of the three members will rotate off, after serving 3 years. In the case of members who retire or resign from the Council of Accountability a member of COSBE will be elected to fill in for the number of years left on the retiring person’s term.
4. Evangelists with at least ten years of experience in vocational evangelism are preferred for the Council. Also serving with the elected Council will be the President of COSBE, and the Pastor Advisor of COSBE.
1. The Samaritan’s Fund has been established to help members of COSBE in times of crisis. All monies are sent to the financial department of the Southern Baptist Foundation, invested by the financial department and distributed by the officers of COSBE. Only a portion of the interest accumulated may be distributed so as not to deplete the entire fund.
2. Any member of COSBE may request assistance by writing the President of COSBE and explaining the need. The officers shall prayerfully consider the request. Financial assistance will be immediate. Amount of “fund” and disbursements should be included in the financial report at the annual meeting of COSBE.
Changes in Policies may be moved and approved by a two-thirds majority vote at any annual meeting of the conference. Previous notice is not required.
The duties of the officers shall be:
D. Recording Secretary
E. Music Director
F. Assistant Music Director
G. Pastor Advisor
I. Evangelists' Hall of Faith Overseer
J. Term of Office
COSBE PUBLISHING, INC.
COSBE Publishing Incorporation is an entity controlled by the Conference of Southern Baptist Evangelists. It is a 501(c)3 Organization, to be used by COSBE in any way COSBE sees fit. Its board is elected by the Conference of Southern Baptist Evangelists’ dues-paying members.
1. Initial membership shall be effective through the annual meeting of the Conference.
2. Membership may be maintained by the payment of annual dues, determined by the Conference, and received by the Secretary-Treasurer’s office by September 30th of each calendar year.
3. Membership shall be effective for one calendar year from the conclusion of the COSBE business meeting at the Southern Baptist Convention’s Annual Meeting.
4. Only those who are current with their membership dues shall have voting privileges.
5. A group may join as one member, and shall have one vote.
EVANGELISTS’ HALL OF FAITH
Artifacts of the Evangelists’ Hall of Faith (EHOF) are owned by COSBE, and are entrusted to the Executive Committee of the Southern Baptist Convention for display. The Historical Commission in Nashville, Tennessee maintains the Exhibit.
1. At the 2014 COSBE business meeting, the body established the position of Hall of Faith overseer.
2. Evangelists’ Hall of Faith Overseer Job Description
1. We, the members of the Conference of Southern Baptist Evangelists (COSBE), do hereby, before the Lord and each other, affirm the following statements concerning our accountability as Vocational Evangelists.
2. We confess Jesus Christ, the Son of God, as Lord and Savior and declare our obedience to the Great Commission, our willingness to advance its purpose and our availability to fulfill its meaning.
3. We align ourselves with the doctrinal position of the 2000 Baptist Faith and Message and reaffirm our belief that the Bible is the infallible, inerrant Word of God.
4. We assert the call of the Vocational Evangelist is an authentic New Testament call; thereby, we approach our vocation with the same degree of preparation and integrity as is demanded of other Christian vocational skills.
5. We are accountable to the local church where we are members by participating in its programs and supporting it with our time and tithes. We will strive to conduct our ministries so as to build up the local body of believers by proclaiming the great doctrines of the scriptures.
6. We acknowledge that conviction of sin is a work of the Holy Spirit and we will extend the invitation with integrity and without coercion or manipulation.
7. Our priorities are: First, to a disciplined devotional life, ensuring our personal spiritual development; Second, to our families, demonstrating our commitment as companions and parents; Third, to those with whom we minister giving evidence of the creditability of our message.
8. As servants of God, we confirm our duty to live morally clean, pure, holy lives. What we proclaim in public, we are obligated to practice in private.
9. We declare to be faithful and responsible under God in the reporting of all our finances and statistics.
10. We need and desire to be filled and controlled by the Holy Spirit in order that we may be thoroughly prepared and thoroughly empowered.
11. We seek to promote evangelism with integrity through every segment of our ministries and, in so doing; we expect the same standards from those with whom we serve.
Revised and Approved: 6/14/2015 COSBE Business Mtg